Hey, wanderlust souls! Welcome to the gem that is North Carolina, a state that offers stunning Atlantic coastlines and majestic Appalachian Mountains. It’s a place of contrasts, where you can go from dipping your toes in the ocean to hiking up a mountain in just a matter of hours. But if you’re looking for a truly unique experience, how about sleeping amid the treetops? That’s right—treehouse accommodations are a thing here, and they’re as magical as you’d imagine.
From the soothing sounds of waves crashing on the Outer Banks to the serene silence of the Smoky Mountains, this place has got it all. And what better way to soak it all in than from the perch of a cozy, well-furnished treehouse? Imagine waking up to the chirping of birds, the leaves dancing in the wind, and the warm glow of the sun rising over the horizon—all from your own lofty haven. Stay tuned as we delve into North Carolina’s best treetop stays, and get ready for an adventure you won’t forget!
Branching Out: North Carolina’s Top Treehouse Accommodations
1. Serenity Treehouse
This Asheville-based treehouse is a haven of tranquility. Nestled amidst the lush greenery of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Serenity Treehouse is not just a stay but an experience. With its expansive deck featuring a hot tub, guests can soak in the warmth while enjoying panoramic mountain views. Inside, a cozy fireplace and fully equipped kitchen make it feel like a home away from home. It’s the perfect spot for couples seeking a romantic escape or solo travelers looking for a peaceful retreat.
2. Treehouse Vineyards
Located in Monroe, Treehouse Vineyards offers a unique blend of relaxation and adventure. As the name suggests, it is situated on a vineyard, allowing guests to partake in wine tasting tours during the day and then retreat to the comfort of their private treehouse at night. Each treehouse is equipped with modern amenities, and some even have their own wine dispensing system! It’s the ideal spot for wine lovers looking for a unique getaway.
3. Cherry Treesort
Situated in China Grove, Cherry Treesort is not just a single treehouse but a collection of treehouses, making it a ‘tree resort’. It’s a fantastic option for larger groups, family reunions, or anyone looking to meet fellow treehouse enthusiasts. Each treehouse has its own unique design and name, like “Miss Molly,” “Sweet Ashley,” and “Nona’s Nest.” All treehouses come with air conditioning, heating, and a small kitchenette.
4. Treetop Hideaways
This treehouse is located on the border of North Carolina and Tennessee, providing guests with incredible views of the Nolichucky River and surrounding mountains. The treehouse is built with reclaimed materials and features a mix of modern and rustic design elements. Guests can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities, such as white-water rafting, hiking, and fishing. It’s perfect for adventure seekers and nature lovers alike.
5. Treehouse Cabins at River’s Edge
Based in Hot Springs, these treehouse cabins offer a unique blend of comfort and adventure. Each cabin is suspended in the trees and features a spacious deck overlooking the river, a fully equipped kitchen, and a private bathroom. Guests can spend their days fishing, hiking, or simply relaxing by the river. It’s an ideal spot for families or couples looking for a fun and relaxing getaway.
6. The Canopy Treehouse
Located in Hendersonville, The Canopy Treehouse is a luxury eco-friendly retreat. It’s part of a larger holistic wellness center, so guests can partake in yoga classes, massages, and other wellness activities during their stay. The treehouse itself is a work of art, with floor-to-ceiling windows, a private deck, and a hot tub. It’s the perfect spot for those looking to relax, rejuvenate, and reconnect with nature.
7. Bolt Farm Treehouse
Found in Walhalla, this is not your average treehouse. Bolt Farm Treehouse is renowned for its luxurious and romantic getaways. With features like a swinging bed, vintage record player, and outdoor bathtub, it’s the perfect spot for couples looking for a special retreat. The treehouse is situated on a 40-acre farm, giving guests plenty of space to explore and enjoy the outdoors.
8. The Roost Treehouse
Situated in Robbinsville, The Roost offers a cozy and comfortable treetop retreat. Surrounded by the Nantahala National Forest, guests can enjoy a range of outdoor activities like hiking, mountain biking, and fishing. The treehouse itself features a fully equipped kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping loft. It’s a great spot for families or groups of friends looking for an adventurous getaway.
9. Sky Ridge Yurts
Located in Bryson City, Sky Ridge Yurts offers a unique twist on treehouse accommodations. While not traditional treehouses, these yurts are elevated on platforms and nestled among the trees, providing a similar treetop experience. Each yurt is luxuriously furnished and features a private deck, fully equipped kitchen, and bathroom. Guests can also enjoy the communal fire pit and BBQ area.
10. Savage River Lodge
Although located just across the state border in Maryland, this lodge is a short drive from North Carolina and worth the trip. The treehouses at Savage River Lodge are the epitome of luxury. Each one is equipped with a gas fireplace, soaking tub, and private deck. Guests can also enjoy the lodge’s on-site restaurant and activities like hiking, fly fishing, and mountain biking. It’s the perfect spot for those looking for a luxurious escape in nature.
Nestling in Nature: The Benefits of Treehouse Accommodations
Staying in a treehouse is not just about having a place to sleep for the night; it’s about immersing yourself in a unique experience that brings a multitude of benefits.
- Closer Connection to Nature: Being surrounded by trees, you can’t help but feel a deep connection to nature. You’ll wake up to the sound of birds chirping, the wind rustling through the leaves, and the smell of fresh pine in the air. It’s a wonderful way to de-stress and reconnect with the world around you.
- Spectacular Views: Perched high in the trees, you’ll have a vantage point that offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape. Whether it’s a panoramic view of the mountains or a secluded spot in a dense forest, the scenery is sure to take your breath away.
- Sense of Adventure: There is something inherently adventurous about staying in a treehouse. It harkens back to childhood dreams of tree forts and jungle adventures. Whether you’re crossing a rope bridge to reach your treetop abode or zip-lining through the forest, the sense of adventure is palpable.
Preparing for Your Perch: Planning Your North Carolina Treehouse Adventure
Planning a trip to a treehouse accommodation requires a bit more preparation than your average hotel stay. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your adventure:
- Best Times to Visit: The best times to visit North Carolina depend on what you’re looking for. If you want to see the fall foliage, October is the best time to visit. For wildflowers and mild temperatures, spring is ideal. Summer can be hot and humid, but it’s also the best time for outdoor activities like hiking and water sports.
- Packing Essentials:
- Comfortable Clothing: Pack layers of comfortable clothing. Even in the summer, it can get cool in the mountains at night.
- Hiking Gear: If you plan on exploring the trails, make sure to pack sturdy hiking shoes, a map, and a compass.
- Insect Repellent: Being in the woods means bugs, so don’t forget to pack insect repellent.
- Booking Your Stay:
- Plan Ahead: Treehouse accommodations are becoming increasingly popular, so it’s a good idea to book well in advance to secure your spot.
- Consider Your Needs: Treehouses range from rustic to luxurious. Consider your needs and preferences when choosing your accommodation. Some treehouses offer modern amenities like hot tubs and Wi-Fi, while others offer a more back-to-nature experience.
Whether you’re planning a romantic getaway or a family-friendly retreat, taking the time to prepare for your trip will ensure you have the best possible experience.
Farewell from the Forest Canopy: Conclusion
As we close our journey through the treetops of North Carolina, we hope you feel inspired to embark on your own treehouse adventure. There is a unique charm and a host of benefits that come with staying in a treehouse accommodation. From the closer connection to nature to the spectacular views and sense of adventure, it’s an experience unlike any other. So why not elevate your next trip and nestle into the nature of North Carolina? The forest canopy is waiting to welcome you.
Share Your Old North State Stories: Call to Action
Now it’s your turn to share your stories! Have you stayed in a treehouse in North Carolina? Do you have a favorite treehouse pick or experience you’d like to share? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below. And if you found this guide helpful, please feel free to share it on your social media. Sharing is caring, after all! If you’re hungry for more travel insights and suggestions, consider subscribing to our blog or newsletter. We’re always exploring new destinations and sharing our favorite tips and tricks to help you plan your next adventure. Happy travels!